Note: Richard Gelfand, MD has retired from the practice.
Originally from New York, Richard Gelfand, MD received his undergraduate degree in 1975 from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. He continued his education at Georgetown University Medical School, where he graduated in 1979 as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society.
In addition to research projects and publications, Dr. Gelfand has performed Peer Review for the Maryland State Medical Society and is a member of the Quality Assurance Committee at Suburban Endoscopy Center. He is also active on the lecture circuit to both lay and professional audiences, including speaking to community groups and teaching Gastroenterology Board Review courses for other physicians. He has been consistently recognized by his peers as at “Top Doctor” in Washingtonian magazine.
Dr. Gelfand is married with three children and enjoys spending time with his family. His other interests include tennis, basketball and coaching youth soccer.
Medical Education and Training
- Georgetown University School of Medicine / Washington, DC / Doctor of Medicine
- Georgetown University Hospital / Washington , DC
- Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine / The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine / Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Bachelor of Biology / University of Pennsylvania / Philadelphia, PA
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
- National Board of Medical Examiners
GastroenterologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
- Suburban Hospital
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- George Washington University Hospital
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America - Member
- Montgomery County Medical Society
- William Earl Clark Society (Washington Society of Gastroenterology)
- American Gastroenterological Association - Member