After completing his undergraduate education at Harvard College, Michael Schwartz, MD, pursued his Doctor of Medicine at the University of Rochester where he also completed his internship. He came to the Washington area to further his training with a Residency in Internal Medicine and Fellowhip in Gastroenterology and Hepatology at The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. During that time, he also practiced medicine as a Commissioned Officer with the National Health Service Corps for two years.
Dr. Schwartz has been in private practice in the Washington Metropolitan Area for more than 20 years, specializing in the field of Gastroenterology. His professional interests include colon cancer screening and prevention through colonoscopy, colitis and Crohn’s Disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gastroesophageal reflux disease and liver diseases including chronic viral hepatitis. He is an active member of the medical community as an Associate Clinical Professor at The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences and a member of the medical staff at George Washington University Hospital, Sibley Memorial Hospital, and Suburban Hospital.
Dr. Schwartz has been consistently recognized by his peers as a “Top Doctor” in Washingtonian magazine.
His personal interests include bicycling, swimming, and spending time with his wife (also a physician) and their three children.
Medical Education and Training
- University of Rochester / Rochester, NY / Doctor of Medicine
- George Washington University Hospital / Washington, DC
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology / George Washington University Hospital / Washington, DC
- Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine / The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health and Sciences
- Harvard College / Cambridge, MA
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
GastroenterologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
- George Washington University Hospital
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Suburban Hospital
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America - Member
- Medical Society of the District of Columbia
- William Earl Clark Society (Washington Society of Gastroenterology)
- American Gastroenterological Association - Member