Originally from a small town in Michigan, Dr. Shanavas knew at an early age that he wanted to be a physician. Escaping the snow of the Midwest, he moved to Philadelphia and finally Washington DC for his medical education and training. Since 2003 he has been in private practice with Capital Gastroenterology Consultants where he enjoys seeing patients with a broad range of gastrointestinal and liver disorders. In addition to his general practice, his special interests include colon cancer screening, advanced therapeutic endoscopic techniques such as ERCP and video capsule endoscopy (also known as PillCam).
An active member of the medical community, Dr. Shanavas serves as Chair of the Division of Gastroenterology at Montgomery General Hospital. He has been consistently recognized by his peers as a “Top Doctor” in Washingtonian magazine.
When he is not working, Dr. Shanavas enjoys spending time with his wife, son and daughter. His other passions include playing racquetball and golf and cheering for the Michigan Wolverines.
Medical Education and Training
- Drexel University College of Medicine / Philadelphia, PA / Doctor of Medicine
- The George Washington University Medical Center / Washignton, DC
- Gastroenterology / The George Washington University Medical Center / Washington, DC
- University of Michigan / Ann Arbor, MI
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
GastroenterologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
- Holy Cross Hospital
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center
- Shady Grove Adventist Hospital
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America - Member