After completing his undergraduate education at Brooklyn College Lawrence Widerlite, MD earned his Doctor of Medicine, Summa Cum Laude, from the State University of New York Downstate College of Medicine and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He completed his Internship and Residency at The New York Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center and Georgetown University. From 1969-1971, he served in the USPHS at the National Institutes of Health, conducting research in oncology and molecular pharmacology. He pursued advanced training in Gastroenterology at Boston University and Brigham and Women’s Hospital (formerly Peter Bent Brigham Hospital).
Dr. Widerlite is Board Certified in Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. From 1974-1977, he held an academic appointment at Georgetown University Hospital and the Washington V. A. Hospital, doing research in gastrointestinal oncology. He presently continues as an Assistant Professor of Medicine. As a member of the medical staff at Sibley Memorial Hospital, he has served as a member of the Executive Committee and Assistant Chief of Gastroenterology. He has published over fifteen medical articles pertaining to Gastroenterology.
Dr. Widerlite is married with two lovely children, and enjoys cooking and learning about wine.
Medical Education and Training
- State University of New York Downstate College of Medicine / Brooklyn, NY / Doctor of Medicine
- New York Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center / New York, NY
- Gastroenterology / Boston University Medical Center, Brigham and Women’s Hospital (formerly Peter Bent Brigham Hospital) / Boston, MA
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine / Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Brooklyn College / Brooklyn, NY
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
GastroenterologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America - Member
- William Earl Clark Society (Washington Society of Gastroenterology)
- American Gastroenterological Association - Member