Jessica Korman, MD might not have expected to pursue a career in medicine when she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Religion and Middle East Studies from the University of Rochester where she was also elected to Phi Beta Kappa, but after spending a year studying abroad in Egypt and Israel and volunteering with Physicians for Human Rights, she was well prepared to do just that. Following her certificate from the post-baccalaureate pre-medical program at Georgetown University, Dr. Korman moved to New York to earn her medical degree from The Mount Sinai School of Medicine. While there, she spent one year conducting research with the Division of Liver Diseases, an interest she shares with her father, Louis Korman, MD, who has been practicing gastroenterology in the Washington Metropolitan Area since 1978.
It was during training that Dr. Korman developed a strong interest in colorectal cancer screening, anal neoplasia and the prevention of anal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, as well as acute and chronic liver diseases. She was recognized by the Division of Gastroenterology at Montefiore Medical Center with the Dr. Marcel Zimetbaum Complete Physician Award which is given to the physician who most consistently brings care, compassion, kindness, comfort and knowledge to his or her patients’ care and has been consistently named a “Top Doctor” by her peers in Washingtonian magazine.
Currently, Dr. Korman is participating as a sub-investigator in a clinical research study called the ANCHOR study. The goal of the ANCHOR study is to find the best way to prevent anal cancer among HIV positive men and women, a population in which anal cancer is on the rise. To learn more about this study, please visit anchorstudy.org. If you would like to speak with someone from the ANCHOR team about the study, please call 202-384-3863 or email email@example.com.
Special Areas of Interest
- Colon cancer screening & prevention
- HPV and anal cancer screening & prevention
- High Resolution Anoscopy (HRA)
Medical Education and Training
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine / New York, NY / Doctor of Medicine
- Montefiore Medical Center / Albert Einstein College of Medicine / Bronx, NY
- Gastroenterology / Montefiore Medical Center / Albert Einstein College of Medicine / Bronx, NY
- Post Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Certificate / Georgetown University / Washington, DC
- Bachelor of Arts in Religion and Third World Studies: The Middle East / University of Rochester / Rochester, NY
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
GastroenterologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
- Suburban Hospital
- American College of Gastroenterology - Member
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America - Member
- Internal Anal Neoplasia Society
- Montgomery County Medical Society
- The Maryland State Medical Society
- American Gastroenterological Association - Member