William R. Stern, MD is a board certified gastroenterologist and Fellow of the American College of Gastroenterology. An active member of the medical community, he has been a member of the Board of Trustees of Med Chi, the Maryland State Medical Society and has served as president of the Montgomery County Medical Society and Governor for Maryland for the American College of Gastroenterology.
Dr. Stern has been consistently recognized by his peers as a “Top Doctor” in Washingtonian magazine. He is also a recipient of the 2010 Patients’ Choice Award. His professional interests include, Colon Cancer, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Liver disease and Hepatitis and he is one of the few physicians in the area to offer a new office-based treatment of hemorrhoids known as the CRH System of Hemorrhoidal Banding. He serves as Treasurer for Capital Digestive Care and Medical Director for the Associates in Gastroenterology division.
In his spare time, Dr. Stern enjoys reading, biking, skiing and spending time with his family. In 2008 Dr. Stern and his wife rode a tandem bike in a 200 mile charity bike ride for the Alyn Children’s Hospital!
Special Areas of Interest
- Colon cancer screening and prevention
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Liver disease
Medical Education and Training
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine / New York, NY / Doctor of Medicine
- The George Washington University Medical Center / Washington, DC
- Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition / Veterans Administration Medical Center / Washington, DC
- Master of Science in Nutritional Biochemistry / Massachusetts Institute of Technology / Cambridge, MA
- Bachelor of Science in Biology / Massachusetts Institute of Technology / Cambridge, MA
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
GastroenterologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
- American College of Gastroenterology - Fellow
- Shady Grove Adventist Hospital
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America - Member
- Montgomery County Medical Society
- The Maryland State Medical Society
- American Gastroenterological Association - Member