PE Practice Solutions is the only physician partnership and management service organization built by and for gastroenterologists. A collaboration between Capital Digestive Care and PE (formerly Physicians Endoscopy), we are a team of physicians and management professionals on the front lines of medical practice. We understand your unique challenges, are aligned with your interests and are committed to preserving the independent practice of gastroenterology. Learn more about our solutions platform.
President & CEO, Capital Digestive Care
Dr. Michael Weinstein has been practicing medicine in the Washington Metropolitan area since 1985 where in his specialty of gastroenterology he has a passion for treating young adults with inflammatory bowel disease, helping them manage and cope with its effects. His advocacy for improvements to patient care was apparent early in his career when, in conjunction with his physician partners, he established the first outpatient endoscopy center in the Washington Metropolitan Area which was also the first to be approved by Medicare, nationwide. Later, he would join forces with gastroenterologists across the area to found Capital Digestive Care, serving as Vice President since 2009.
As a prominent member of the medical community, Dr. Weinstein represents physicians across the medical, political and regulatory landscapes as the Vice Chairman for the Digestive Health Physicians Association (DHPA), the national GI independent practice advocacy organization. Previously he has served as Treasurer of the Medical Society of the District of Columbia, a member of the American Gastroenterological Association Board of Trustees and as the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy representative to the American Medical Association’s CPT Advisory Panel. Dr. Weinstein also maintains an academic appointment as an Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
President & CEO, Physicians Endoscopy
David Young, President & CEO, PE. Mr. Young brings more than 20 years of operational leadership to PE. Originally from Scotland, he received his MBA from the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst, Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountant and Corporate Treasurer.
Prior to joining PE, Mr. Young was Chief Operating Officer of Privia Health, Inc., a national physician practice management and medical group based in Virginia that grew to more than 2,000 providers under his leadership.
Kevin J. Harlen,
President, PE Practice Solutions
A prominent member of the Washington area medical community, Mr. Harlen is the immediate past chief operating officer of Capital Digestive Care. He has served in leadership positions across the region for the last 22 years. As a former MedStar Washington Hospital executive, Mr. Harlen served as Vice President of Professional Services followed by the position of Vice President of Strategic Planning and Business Development.
In 2014, Capital Digestive Care helped found the Digestive Health Physicians Association, a national advocacy organization representing 1800 physicians in 36 states for which he serves as Executive Director. Mr. Harlen also serves as Interim Executive Director of the Digestive Health Network (DHN) formed in 2017 to develop a network of high quality and high value independent GI practices that can have a significant impact on patient care and the healthcare marketplace.
In addition, Mr. Harlen lends his voice to support communities of patients, both locally and nationally, suffering from digestive diseases. He is a member and current Treasurer of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation (CCF) Washington DC/Virginia Chapter Board of Trustees where he has also served as Chair of the National Capital Area Take Steps walk since 2010. As a member of the CCF Cost of IBD Task Force, he is helping to inform and shape decision making that impacts patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. In 2017, he was recognized with the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Community Champion Award. Mr. Harlen also serves as a member and former Chair of the Washington Regional Transplant Community Board of Directors and a proud member of the University of North Carolina’s School of Public Health Alumni Association Board of Governors..
The Value of Partnering with Capital Digestive Care
Established in 2009 through the merger of seven separate gastroenterology groups, Capital Digestive Care is the largest independent gastroenterology practice in the Mid-Atlantic states. Together, we have grown to be the top-performing practice in our region.
- A network to share data and best practices: We connect you to data and a network of gastroenterologists that will inform decision making, spark ideas and drive the sharing of clinical and operational best practices.
- Opportunities for growth: We can open opportunities for growth by connecting you to advanced GI ancillary service lines including world-class GI pathology with advanced molecular technology, scaled infusion centers, clinical research and planned future expansions in pharmacy, weight loss, and imaging.
- Better quality of life: We reduce the administrative burden of the “business” of medicine, enabling gastroenterologists to focus more on caring for patients.
- Advocacy: Our engagement and advocacy through influential organizations such as the Digestive Health Physicians Association is shaping the future of independent physician practice.
- Enhanced payor arrangements: Our size, data, cost control solutions and best-practice approaches positions us to engage in unique arrangements with payor networks on behalf of our practice partners.
- Operational support: Access the experts, information and tools you need to improve and grow your practice and reduce the burden of day-to-day business administration
- Reduced costs: Economies of scale achieved by being part of a larger organization means more value for a lower per unit cost at the practice level.
The Value of PE Practice Solutions Support
We partner with physicians to help them streamline and manage their operations so they can spend less time on administration and more time on patient care. We have a long track record of improving the lives of physicians and the clinical and financial outcomes of their practices so their independent practices can thrive. Through diversification and enhancement of revenue streams doctors are able to devote more of their time to improving patient access and delivering on cost effective and quality clinical care. Learn more about our solutions platform.